Our focus is to introduce baseball to kids in a fun way. There will be no evaluation by ability at this age level. Please do not be discouraged if your child has never played before. All kids will be able to fully participate in every practice and game.
THERE IS NO PLAYING UP A GRADE ALLOWED.
The 2nd grade league is for children in 2nd grade during the 2018/2019 academic school year. Teams will be created by school when possible. There is no guarantee that players will all be from the same school but efforts will be made to divide them in this fashion.
A typical week will include 2 practices (M/W) or (T/Th) and 1 game (Sun). While each coach has discretion, most practices will be 60-90 minutes and games will be 2 hours.
If you want to request a specific night for practice, please include this information with your registration. (Please indicate within the comment section) NOTE: this will likely mean that your child WILL NOT play with his/her school.
· Pitching machines used for pitching
· Standard baseball rules apply
· Scores are kept and win/loss record used for end of season tournament seeding
· Players will rotate from position to position during the course of the season (not necessarily in the game)
· All players receive equal playing time at all positions
· Games will be six innings or as many innings that can be played in allotted time
· Big barrel bats (2 5/8" or 2 3/4") are not allowed in this league
Teams will typically practice on either a Mon/Wed or Tues/Thur schedule with games on Sunday's. There will be no games or practices scheduled during the Memorial Day and 4th of July weekends.
Efforts will be made to accommodate weekday night requests though this cannot be guaranteed. (Indicate within the comment section) Please be advised that such requests reduce the chance that your child will play on their school’s team.
The 2nd grade league will practice and play games at Birchview Elementary. Practices may also be held at Lions Park.
End of Season Tournament
The end of the season tournament will be played on the Birchview fields. All teams will participate in the tournament.
1. The tournament is double elimination, meaning your team is guaranteed 2 games.
2. The brackets will be seeded based on win/tie/loss records during regular season play. A point system will be used to determine records (2 pts for a win, 1 pt for a tie, and 0 pts for a loss).
a. first tie breaker will be based on head-to-head competition
b. second tie breaker will be broken using runs scored
c. third tie breaker will use runs against
Players are required to have their own baseball glove, baseball pants and shoes (cleats). They will be provided a team jersey and hat. We suggest Grey baseball pants. Many players like to have their own bat (2 1/2" barrel) and helmet, however team coaches are issued bats and helmets that kids can share so they are not required.
· Teams will be formed late March/early April. Coaches will contact players
· Practices start in mid-April, weather permitting
· Games tentatively scheduled to start the first weekend in May
· Season ending tournament will be played in mid-July.
WE NEED COACHES!! Please volunteer to be a head or an assistant coach via your registration form, onsite registration or go to www.pwyba.com. Contact league commissioner with questions.